The social work staff at Lourdes helps patients and families that need support with the essential matters of life and care during illness and health events. They can assist with the decisions, arrangements and administrative matters, as well as attention to personal challenges, that can accompany the need to layer medical treatment on the normal demands of life.
|Special feature: oncology social worker
Lourdes has a special resource for cancer patients and their families: a social worker assigned specifically to the cancer care program. This professional helps patients and their families deal with the diagnosis of cancer and provides the support necessary to achieve treatment goals, maintain quality of life and navigate care challenges.To learn more, view our Oncology Social Work flyer.
The Social Work Department at Lourdes Health System is especially involved in assisting patients and their families as they plan for their discharge from the hospital.
Social work roles include:
- Assessment of discharge planning needs
- Arrangements for rehabilitation services, for skilled nursing facilities or for personal care at home
- Connection to treatment in mental health and substance abuse programs
- Referrals for home healthcare and durable medical equipment
- Assistance with hospice and palliative care services
- Enrollment with community agencies for services such as adult daycare, meals on wheels, counseling and more
- Help with transportation needs
Lourdes social workers are specially trained to understand the challenges brought on by illness and are available to help patients and their families cope with difficult or complex circumstances.