Located in the new Pavillion building at Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center in Camden, the Center for Advanced Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine is a rare and critical resource for patients with difficult-to-heal wounds. Patients with skin lesions that have had not responded to normal care and that could lead to serious complications receive treatment that no other service can replace. Selected wound patients and patients with other types of conditions can benefit from the center’s two new chambers for hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT).
This unit has a primary focus on providing specialized treatment for chronic or non-healing wounds, which are defined as sores or wounds that have not significantly gotten better during the course of conventional treatment. These wounds can cause serious and dangerous complications as well as significant health problems and debilitation.
But because of advances in the art and science of wound care, most people with slow-healing can find successful treatment. Comprehensive, specialized care can resolve wounds, reduce the incidence of recurrence and return mobility and function to patients.
|In addition to treating diabetic ulcers, the center also treats osteomyelitis, surgical repairs to the skin, traumatic injury, radiation-therapy induced tissue damage and wounds related to arterial and vascular disease.|
Are You a Candidate?
If you suffer from a chronic or non-healing wound (or other condition that can be addressed through hyperbaric medicine) speak with your physician about the Lourdes Center for Advanced Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine. You may be a candidate for this advanced outpatient program. Practices in family medicine, internal medicine, surgery and other primary-care and specialty areas recommend patients to the Lourdes center, where these patients benefit from:
- The most up-to-date techniques for addressing and resolving problem wounds;
- Proven clinical practice guidelines, based on a unique database of experience;
- An individualized, comprehensive plan of care that brings you the most appropriate and effective treatments for your particular needs;
- Assessment and ongoing care by our highly skilled team of wound-care specialists. Learn more about our staff.
- Thorough training for you and your family on caring for the wound or other condition at home;
- Education materials and resources related to prevention, nutrition, hygiene and other key topics for you and your family;
- Ongoing communication so that you and your doctor stay informed and up-to-date on all aspects of your healing;
- Advanced therapies-including, for suitable patients, access to a course of care in the center’s HBOT* chambers, which speeds healing of chronic non-healing wounds, reduces risk of amputation and, studies show, decreases risk of mortality from wound infection by up to two-thirds. The center’s specialized team also takes advantage of skin substitutes-bioengineered tissue-replacement products that they can apply to help wounds close over.
*For a select group of chronic wound patients, HBOT can serve as an essential and irreplaceable step in care. HBOT has been shown to reduce healing time, improve healing rates and prevent possible limb loss. In fact, patients who have suffered from chronic wounds for months, even years, are routinely restored to health in a shorter time than they ever thought possible. The treatments accelerate wound healing through the systemic delivery of oxygen as a result of patients breathing oxygen in a pressurized chamber.
Special Points of Care
The team at the Center for Advanced Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine uses a case-management model-always considering the patient’s overall health condition in each step of care, partnering with referring physicians and sharing the treatment plan with all parties. Each patient’s first consultation includes an examination and medical history evaluation that has important bearing on the treatment.
If a patient has diabetes, for example, the team integrates knowledge of that condition into the overall care strategy-an approach that partnering providers appreciate. The center also documents all wound status and progress photographically, and apprises the referring physician, who remains an active member of the wound-care-management team. Patients visit the Center for Advanced Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine but remain under the care of their personal physicians to whom they return when wound care concludes.
The center distinguishes itself by offering a range of services (including multiple patient chambers for hyperbarics) for all types of wounds at one location. It accepts many patients with the most difficult-to-heal wounds. It also provides HBOT to patients with a variety of conditions.
The center’s services are available 24 hours per day, seven days per week, including for emergency treatments. The center’s standard patient hours are Monday through Friday.
For more information or to make an appointment, call 856-668-8475.
Location: After arriving at Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center (get directions), proceed to the Pavilion Building, third floor. Check in for the wound care center at the Outpatient Surgery Desk immediately opposite the elevators. Please contact the center to arrange medical transport needed from curbside at the hospital or from home.