Tips for Choosing a Bariatric Surgeon and Hospital
If you are considering weight-loss surgery, you will soon find your journey will involve many decisions. First and most important among those decisions is your choice of provider. Who will be your partner in your weight loss journey? Make sure you do your research and consider all of the pros and cons involved with surgery. Talk to people who have had the procedure. Learn how it will impact your life and be honest with yourself about whether you are ready to make the lifestyle changes needed.
When considering your choice of doctor and hospital, ask the following questions:
- How will weight-loss surgery help me?
- How many procedures have you performed?
- What kinds of quality measures do you use?
- Are you a member of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons?
- Is the hospital accredited by the MSBAQIP?
- Who are the members of the office and hospital staff who I will interact with before, during and after my surgery?
- Who will be the doctor who performs my weight-loss surgery?
- Where will my weight-loss surgery be performed?
- What type of weight-loss surgery is best for me? What are my options? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
- What is my risk for complication during and after surgery?
- What can I do to help me prepare for surgery and reduce my risk for complication?
- What happens after surgery? What type of follow-up care will I need?
- Can I speak with your previous patients?
- How much does weight-loss surgery cost?
- How much weight can I expect to lose?