Things We Like
There is a myriad of information on the internet about diet and fitness. It can be difficult to wade through the various sites. Try checking out these resources on the internet:
- Weight of the Nation – Produced by HBO, “The Weight of the Nation” is a four-part award-winning documentary outlining the seriousness of the country’s obesity epidemic. According to federal statistics, 70% of Americans are either overweight or obese. This extraordinary series features case studies, interviews with our nation’s leading experts, and individuals and their families struggling with obesity. You can watch all four episodes online at no charge. Click here to visit the site.
- Mayor’s Wellness Campaign – The Mayors Wellness Campaign is an initiative in New Jersey to equip mayors and other key leaders with the tools to develop and implement active-living initiatives in their communities with the ultimate goal of improving health and reducing the skyrocketing health care costs that come with the obesity problem in the state. For example in Cherry Hill, the mayor has worked to identify and promote healthy cooking classes, educational seminars, and community activities, including our Parks and Recreation programs, fitness classes, and senior activities. Click here to learn more.
- The Walking Revolution – “Walking is like medicine for my patients,” says Dr. Bob Sallis — a Kaiser Permanente family practitioner from Fontana, California—describing the connection between how much time his patients spend walking and their overall health. In the spring of 2013 the US Surgeon General Dr. Regina Benjamin issued a “Call to Action on Walking” aimed at helping Americans improve their health by walking more. Click here for the report.
- The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) – The vision of the Society is to improve public health and well-being by lessening the burden of the disease of obesity and related diseases throughout the world. This website has an extremely informative ‘For Patients’ section. Click here for the website.
- The Weight Control Information Network – the network provides the general public, health professionals, the media, and Congress with up-to-date, science-based information on weight control, obesity, physical activity, and related nutritional issues. Click here for the website.