Lourdes consistently receives acknowledgements of the quality of its care. This gratifying recognition provides:
- reassurance to patients;
- confirmation of the tremendous value of Lourdes services;
- and great pride to every employee of the Lourdes Health System.
These indications of a job well done result from hard work to provide superior healthcare, and they validate the standards of excellence that Lourdes pursues.
Good personal care, of course, is an art; but it’s also a science. Lourdes has always worked to concentrate on metrics that matter [57KB PDF]-measurements that it can use to directly improve care for patients.
Today, consumers have the advantage of accessing results on quality of healthcare through independent organizations. This positive development helps everyone, rewarding performance at hospitals and pointing to areas that need improvements. With this performance and service information, patients can also more easily find the medical center or physician that most matches their needs and requirements.
Healthcare providers learn from the rating process and the rating methods. By examining their data, they understand where to focus efforts toward better performance. Among highlights of Lourdes’ recent reviews, independent entities have pointed to the system’s accomplishments and eminence in cardio- and cerebrovascular care, surgical areas and acute hospital care.
HealthGrades®, a public company based in Colorado, has, over the last ten years, become the best-known national organization providing rankings and service information on hospitals and doctors. Using sophisticated, equitable and highly developed techniques for gathering and evaluating results on providers, this large evaluator of health services offers an essential function in bringing consumer data to the public and rewarding high performance by medical centers.
Lourdes has gone far beyond just working towards good scores in HealthGrades® listings. It has partnered with this organization to look closely at its care and capitalize on the most advanced strategies for improving services, outcomes and value. Lourdes Health System takes great pride in its 2012 HealthGrades ratings and in its HealthGrades® rankings among the New Jersey’s 72 general hospitals.
Cardiac & Neurovascular
- ranked among America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac CareTM
- for Overall Cardiac Services-Five-star rated, ranked #1 in New Jersey (and in the top 10 in NJ for five years in a row) and among the top 5 percent in the nation
- Cardiac Care Excellence Award TM(two years in a row)
- for Cardiology Services — Five-star rated (two years in a row), ranked in the top 3 in New Jersey (and in the top 10 in NJ for five years in a row) and among the top 5 percent in the nation
- for Coronary Interventional Procedures — Five-star rated (five years in a row), ranked in the top 6 in New Jersey (and in the top 10 in NJ for five years in a row) and among the top 10 percent in the nation (four years in a row)
- Coronary Intervention Excellence Award™ (four years in a row)
- for Treatment of Heart Attack — Five-star rated (three years in a row)
- for Cardiac Surgery — ranked in the top 6 in New Jersey (and in the top 10 in NJ for six years in a row)
- for Coronary Bypass Surgery — Five-star rated (six years in a row)
- for Valve Surgery — Five-star rated
- for Treatment of Heart Failure — Five-star rated (nine years in a row)
- for Treatment of Stroke —Five-star rated (nine years in a row), ranked in the top 5 in New Jersey and ranked among the top 10 percent in the nation (two years in a row)
- Stroke Care Excellence Award™ — (two years in a row)
- for Overall Pulmonary Services — Five-star rated and ranked in the top 6 in New Jersey
- for Treatment of Pneumonia — Five-star rated (two years in a row)
Critical Care Services
- for Critical Care — top 3 in New Jersey
- for Treatment of Sepsis (infection) — Five-star rated
- for Treatment of Respiratory Failure — Five-star rated
HealthGrades® also recognized Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center in 2010 with its Patient Safety Excellence Award, which put Lourdes in the top five percent of hospitals in the nation for patient safety.
U.S. News Recognition
U.S. News & World Report, one of the foremost and best-known media outlets for competitive rankings, designated Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center among the top hospitals in the Philadelphia area for the second year in row in its 2011-12 Best Hospitals rankings.
In its 2011-12 rankings, U.S. News also honored Lourdes with a “high performance” rating in geriatrics.
Joint Commission Recognition
The Joint Commission—the leading accreditor of healthcare organizations in America—named Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures®. The hospital was recognized by The Joint Commission for exemplary performance in using evidence-based clinical processes that are shown to improve care for certain conditions, including heart attack, pneumonia, surgery, children’s asthma, stroke and venous thromboembolism, as well as inpatient psychiatric services.
Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center was recognized for its achievement on the following measure sets: heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical care. The ratings are based on an aggregation of accountability measure data reported to The Joint Commission during the 2012 calendar year.
Recognition for Stroke Care
- In 2007, Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center gained designation by the State of New Jersey as a Primary Stroke Center. This status recognizes Lourdes’ extensive experience, and advanced capabilities and protocols, for rapidly and effectively diagnosing and treating patients to minimize the effects of stroke.
- In 2011, Lourdes again earned recognition from The American Heart Association and American Stroke Association in their Get with the Guidelines — Stroke program. This year, Lourdes received the Gold Plus Award for the quality of its care for stroke patients.
- The Joint Commission has given Lourdes Advanced Certification in stroke care.
Bariatrics (weight-loss surgery)
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery has designated Lourdes a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence.
Aetna Quality Award
An exceptional medical staff at Lourdes, made up of accomplished, respected, caring physicians, means that Lourdes doctors regularly garner the accolades they richly deserve.
The American College of Radiology (ACR) has accredited the MR imaging, ultrasound and mammography services at Lourdes, on the basis of the high practice standards of these services. Learn more.
Other prominent third parties provide key opportunities for patients to compare hospital results, in order make more informed decisions when choosing a medical center for care, including for specific types of care. The data collected by these organizations acknowledges and thus encourages good performance:
Gold Seal of Approval from the Joint Commission
The Joint Commission consistently awards Lourdes the Gold Seal of Approval for its quality performance. The commission is the primary quality accreditation body nationally for hospitals. It conducts regular, on-site visits to all areas of the Lourdes Health System. The Joint Commission’s periodic visits to healthcare organizations are sometimes unannounced, for purposes of surveying whether hospitals are in compliance with rigorous patient quality and safety standards.
Patients and consumers can use the Joint Commission site to look at specific data about hospital performance on national patient safety and quality improvement goals, across a list of major diseases and conditions. See Lourdes impressive results on the Joint Commission’s Quality Check site. Among other quality indicators, users will see Lourdes’ designations for Advanced Achievement in Stroke.
Check Lourdes out on the U.S. Government’s Hospital Compare site
On the Hospital Compare website, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services—in collaboration with the Hospital Quality Alliance, with which Lourdes proudly participates—has collected data on a variety of quality measures for hospitals throughout the country. Hospital Compare allows anyone to chose hospitals in his or her area, or beyond, and compare them on a list of care-excellence and safety factors. Users can see measures of quality in surgery, heart care (as well as other disease-specific areas), general outcomes, patient satisfaction and other factors. See Lourdes’ excellent ratings on Hospital Compare.
* NJ Dept of Health Quality Measures
The State of New Jersey’s Department of Health and Senior Services actively measures and compares hospital performance in its state. The department’s Hospital Performance Report webpage permits users to compare hospital attainment of a variety of disease-specific measures in such areas as heart disease, pneumonia and surgery.Lourdes takes pride in its excellent results:
- 99 percent overall score in care of heart attacks and in care of heart failure (and low inpatient mortality)
- 98 percent overall score in surgical care improvement and in care of pneumonia
- and, no other hospital in Southern New Jersey has better overall results totaled forheart-attackcare, pneumonia care, heart failure care, and improvement of surgical care.