Narrowing of arteries in the extremities, especially the legs, is a widely overlooked ailment. Lourdes interventionalists use the excimer laser, or "cool laser," to safely vaporize blockages—reopening blood vessels and restoring circulation to limbs without surgery.
Advanced and highly skilled care for vascular conditions of all kinds is a premier clinical service at Lourdes. Care encompasses a range of interventions, from minimally invasive, catheter-based procedures to complex, open surgery including stroke prevention procedures.
Lourdes' service has broad, successful experience in treating:
- aneurysms, including of the aorta (with heart-valve replacement as needed) and of brain arteries;
- narrowing of a variety of vessels, in particular the carotid artery and peripheral vessels (including those serving the legs and feet);
- and other malformations or abnormalities of veins or arteries.
Lourdes offers the vast experience of surgical specialists (thoracic, cardiothoracic, and vascular surgeons) and interventional cardiologists to address vascular disease and conditions of all kinds. A team system involving close cooperation with radiologists, provides patients and their referring physicians with a targeted approach to treatment that always takes advantage of the most conservative measures when possible.
For Lourdes' achievements in vascular services, HealthGrades® gave Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center the following recognition in its 2011 results:
- ranked in the Top 2 centers in New Jersey for Vascular Surgery;
- and Five-Star Rated for care of Aortic Artery Aneurysm.