Health Problems Secondary to Diabetes
Uncontrolled diabetes can ravage a host of body systems.The disease can lead to or exacerbate:
- heart disease, including coronary disease and heart failure;
- kidney disease, inducing a level of kidney failure that may require dialysis;
- joint conditions, resulting from obesity and sometimes leading to joint destruction that requires joint replacement;
- obesity-related issues, including immobility and social-personal challenges;
- vascular disease, related to high cholesterol or high blood pressure, involving vessel blockages or abnormalities and occurring in peripheral areas such as the legs and feet or in the heart or brain;
- chronic wounds, which can cause infections threatening life and limb.
Lourdes provides a full range of top specialty services to address these problems—evaluating and treating these important conditions. With their leading-edge knowledge, Lourdes specialists in a number of areas can offer, and update patients on, the most advanced approaches to controlling the disease, as well as on the latest developments and promising new treatments (including research on the pancreas, on vascular diseases, on hormones, and on nutritional findings that can affect diabetes care.
Please see these Lourdes services for specialized care: