Both Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center and Lourdes Medical Center of Burlington County have been designated Centers of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) and the Surgical Review Corporation. The ASMBS Center of Excellence designation recognizes surgical programs with a demonstrated track record of favorable outcomes in bariatric surgery.
According to a report released in 2007 by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the number of bariatric surgeries has grown from 16,000 procedures performed in 1992 to 170,000 performed in 2005. Faced with clinical evidence that the most experienced and best-run bariatric surgery programs have by far the lowest rates of complications, the ASMBS Centers of Excellence program was created to recognize bariatric surgery centers that perform well and to help surgeons and hospitals continue to improve the quality and safety of care provided.
To earn a Center of Excellence designation both Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center and Lourdes Medical Center of Burlington County underwent a series of site inspections during which all aspects of the program's surgical processes were closely examined and data on health outcomes was collected. Both Lourdes hospitals and other centers that have received the Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence designation agree to continue to share information on clinical pathways, protocols and outcomes data.
If you are considering bariatric surgery, consider these facts from the ASMBS:
- Only patients considered morbidly obese (having a body mass index greater than 40) or those with debilitating co-morbidities are candidates for bariatric surgery.
- Surgical options are a last resort for morbidly obese patients.
- Bariatric surgery is not a quick fix; surgery is most effective when paired with such lifestyle changes as diet and exercise. Patients are encouraged to deal with emotional and psychological issues that may have contributed to their condition.
- According to the National Institute of Health, bariatric surgery is the only effective therapy for morbid obesity and its complications. A variety of surgical procedures can provide previously full remission of many co-morbidities, such as diabetes, asthma, cardiopulmonary failure, infertility and stress incontinence.
- While complications are possible in any surgery, the rate of complications from surgery performed at an ASMBS Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence are extremely low—less than one percent.
Bariatric Surgery Services in the Lourdes Health System
Experience is important when considering any type of surgery. That is why it is important to know the Lourdes Health System is one of the largest providers of bariatric surgery in southern New Jersey. To learn about the specific bariatric procedures and surgeons at Lourdes Health System hospitals, choose from the links below:
- Bariatric Surgery at Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center
- Bariatric Surgery at Lourdes Medical Center of Burlington County
- Lourdes Health System Bariatric Surgeons
- Patient Testimonials
- Lourdes Bariatric University
To locate a bariatric surgeon at Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center or Lourdes Medical Center of Burlington County, call 1-888-LOURDES.