First Aid Kit Must-Haves
Who hasn't suffered a minor shaving accident, only to stumble around the bathroom in search of a bandage? Spare yourself the inconvenience by keeping these essentials stocked in one place.
- Hydrogen peroxide to clean wounds
- Antibiotic ointment
- Hydrocortisone ointment to ease itchy skin
- Adhesive bandages and sterile gauze pads
- Tweezers to remove splinters
- A nonmercury, nonglass oral thermometer
- Anti-diarrhea medication
- Pain reliever for fever and aches
- An antihistamine to treat allergy and cold symptoms such as a runny nose
- Decongestant pills, sprays or drops to "unstuff" stopped-up noses
- Sunscreen with an SPF 15 or higher
The best spots for medicines are cool, dry and dimly lighted. If you have young children, keep medicines in a locked area, if possible. Routinely check expiration dates and replace as necessary.